books I'm reading
- Samantha Irby: She should be the patron saint of this site. She puts all the hard stuff right out there in a hilarious, sometimes R-rated way.
- Show & Steal: These books led me to create this site, they reminded me to step away from the screen and to get out the post-its and markers, they're my guidebooks for life these days.
- Everything Happens: I devoured this book and left it littered with post it notes. It's a peek into the negative space of someone living with Stage IV cancer.
- Modern Loss: I recently had the opportunity to meet and hear these authors speak at a local bookstore. SO GOOD. Raw, hard stuff, but in real life bite-sized amounts. I want to have a stack of these on my shelf to give out to anyone experiencing loss.
- It's Okay to Laugh: I got to meet and hear this author too (famously written about in this post). She's the real deal and I am loving her book.
podcasts i'm listening to
- Terrible: My doppelganger interviews folks about the hard stuff of life.
- Cold Oatmeal: This is hosted by my brother. I listen to soak up all I can about PR, because it's nice to "hang out" with my only sibling, who I don't see very often, and because it's a pretty great podcast.
- Jen Hatmaker: I love Jen Hatmaker for her wit and honesty about parenting transracially, the church, pimento sandwiches and everything in between.
- Something to Say (Rob Bell): My husband and I recently attended a two day writing/communication workshop with Rob Bell and this 7 hour podcast was our homework. It is full of wisdom for writers and public speakers.